Mold is a fungus species that usually grows in moist and damp areas. There are many areas where mold can grow in your home, from basements to plumbing piping and bathrooms to wallpapers.
The microscopic nature of mold can make it seem harmless, but that's not the case because it can seriously affect your health. However, many people can't tell when their house is affected by mold as they are clueless about what to look out for. Discussed here are signs that it's time for residential mold testing.
When There's Water Damage in Your Home
As highlighted earlier, moist areas offer the perfect environment for mold growth. This means that if there's water damage in your home, calling in a residential mold testing expert should be your top priority. Considering that mold spreads quickly, the need to act fast is quite critical lest the situation gets out of control.
Apart from water damage caused by calamities such as floods, leaks can also cause moisture build-up. When ignored, leaks can cause mold that spreads to other areas with time. Some common causes of water leaks include leaking sink pipes and toilets.
When There's an Odd Smell in Your Home
Considering that your living space is supposed to remain odor-free, strange smells alert you that something is wrong. When there is a mold problem in your home, there is likely to be a musty odor. Environmental factors such as season changes and heavy rain can cause musty smells, but it doesn't take long for the odor to subside. If the smell persists, it's almost certain that your house has a mold issue.
When There's Visible Mold in Your Home
Mold comes in a wide variety of colors, such as black, white, and green. Residential mold testing should be the first thing that crosses your mind if your home has these colored spots. Mold spots might not seem like a big deal, but the fact that you can see them means it's only a matter of time before the problem escalates.
Mold can cause health problems such as respiratory issues, and that's why you should do everything possible to keep it at bay. As a prudent homeowner, it's vital to know the signs indicating that your house is affected by mold. If your property has water damage, consulting with a professional residential mold testing service is essential. The same applies if your living space has an odd smell or visible mold.
To learn more, contact a residential mold testing contractor.