Mold is an unsightly problem that can occur in your home when the wrong conditions exist, but it is also a dangerous one that you need to take seriously and clean up in the right way. From cleanup to disinfecting and removing damaged materials, here are some recommendations to help you clean up after a mold problem in your home.
Use a Mold Removal Solution
In the case of mold growth in your home, it is important that you can clean the mold from off your home's interior surfaces and out of porous areas. The reason this is so important is that mold is a toxic substance that can cause allergic reactions, asthma, serious illness, and death. Mold spores can become airborne and travel throughout your home's air and ventilation system, causing more mold problems and illness in your household.
To effectively clean off mold from a surface, spray it with a full-strength white vinegar or a bleach and water solution, and wipe it off with a disposable cleaning cloth. If the mold growth is upon a porous surface, such as drywall or tile grout, scrub the area with a water and liquid dish soap solution. this will get down into the pores to remove the mold spores that have penetrated below the surface. Spray to saturate the surface again and allow it to air dry to fully destroy any remaining mold spores.
Complete a Home Mold Test
After you have removed a mold growth within your home, you should follow up with a mold test. A mold test is a good way to test for the presence of mold on surfaces and within the air of your home. And you can buy both types of tests that you can use within your home, or you can hire a professional mold testing service. However, if you are dealing with a large area of mold growth, it is best to hire a professional mold removal team, and they will follow up with a full test of your home.
Reduce Moisture in Your Home
Once you have removed mold growth, you should always take the necessary steps to prevent further mold growth by reducing and managing moisture within your home. Install a dehumidifier in your home to reduce air moisture, or use your home's HVAC with a dehumidifier with it. Also run ventilation fans in the kitchen and bathrooms after cooking and bathing, as these activities can put a large amount of moisture in your home's air.